Thursday, October 28, 2010

For Shila

I love knitting for babies.  I love the soft yarn and the sweet little items you can make.  I also really like knitting blankets.  There's something really, REALLY satisfying about watching something that big come together. 
My sister in law gave birth to my very first niece last May -- Shila Grace.  Over the weekend, I finally finished the blanket I had started for her.  (Granted, I'd started one.  Hated it and took it apart.  This was attempt #2.)  I didn't follow a set pattern for this one.  I just sort of made it up and I'm really happy with how it turned out.

Here's what I did....
Needles:  Size 12 needles -- I use the round ones for blankets.  It's just easier.
Yarn: Appx 3 skeins baby weight yarn -- I used Vanna Choice from Lion Brand**

Cast on: 80 stitches
Rows 1-10: Knit
Row 11: Knit 5, purl to last 5, knit 5
Row 12: Knit
Row 13: Knit 5 ( purl 1, YO, P2tog) repeat, knit last 5
Row 14: Knit
Row 15: Knit 5, purl to last 5, knit 5
Row 16: Knit 5, (Knit 1, yo, k2tog) repeat, knit last 5
Repeat rows 11-16 until blanket is the desired length.
Knit 10 rows.
Cast off

Full blanket... It's about the same size as one of the Simon's favorite blankets.  Not HUGE but big enough that she'll get good use out of it for awhile.
And the close up here shows the detailing you get with the pattern. 

**I did this as a double knit blanket because I'd been given some really thin baby yarn that I didn't want to use on it's own.  The fuschia is the Vanna yarn the white strand is the other yarn.

1 comment:

Melissa said...

Very nice! I found you on Baby Center. I just started knitting and only know how to do very simple things. I bought some "round" needles but don't know how to use them! Does it work just the same as the regular needles? I don't have or used double point needles either.
Look forward to having a look around your blog!